Updated: March 9, 2018
Your privacy is of utmost importance to Freija and, accordingly, we comply with current Canadian privacy legislation. At no time will we release your email address to any third party outside of the Freija group of companies. Furthermore, please note that an unsubscribe mechanism will always be set out clearly for you so that you can easily withdraw your consent to receive further communication from us at any time.
We interpret “Personal Information” as meaning information that specifically identifies a Guest as an individual and is provided to or collected by Freija. The type of Personal Information Freija collects, uses and discloses may include without limitation, an individual’s name, residential mailing address, residential phone numbers or email addresses, personal financial and credit information, verification of age for age-related programs, citizenship, place of employment, and personal preferences.
- Freija collects and uses Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Maintaining a record of our Guest’s stay with us for customer service and to better facilitate our Guest’s next check-in;
- Meeting our Guest’s personal preferences and needs during their stay at Freija;
- Advising our Guest of goods and services offered by, or by arrangement with Freija;
- Improving the goods and services we offer to our Guest in the future;
- Compliance with all municipal, provincial, federal and other applicable laws regarding their stay at Freija;
- Confirming information necessary for credit transactions with our Guest;and
- Such other specific purposes which are communicated to the Guest by Freija and its staff before collection.
When Personal Information is to be used for a purpose not previously identified, the new purpose will be identified prior to use.
Consent to Collect or Disclose Personal Information
Freija does not collect, use or disclose a Guest’s Personal Information without their knowledge and consent, except in certain extraordinary circumstances. Such extraordinary circumstances include without limitation, when legal, medical or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to obtain consent. The most common methods we use to obtain consent to collect and use Guest Personal Information are by Guests completing registration cards, providing Personal Information to Freija staff members over the phone, by making a reservation through the Freija website or other booking agencies such as AirBnB that facilitate making Guest reservations at Freija, and by enrolling in our email newsletter.
Our Guests may choose to opt out, thereby withdrawing their consent at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. A Guest’s refusal to provide, or withdrawal of, his/her consent may affect our ability to provide the Guest with its services. Freija will inform the Guest of the implications of such withdrawal. To withdraw consent, a Guest should contact us at [email protected]
Limitations on Collection and Retention of Personal Information
Completeness and Accuracy
Freija strives to ensure that Guest’s Personal Information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used.
Freija has security safeguards in place designed to protect against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification of Guest’s Personal Information in the care of Freija. The nature of the safeguards will depend on the sensitivity, format, location and storage of the Personal Information.
Guest Access and Accountability
Freija will provide a Guest access to their Personal Information. Freija will correct or amend any inaccuracies in their Personal Information upon request. Freija has the right to refuse a Guest’s request for access to personal information if:
- The information is protected by legal privilege;
- Granting access would reveal confidential commercial information;
- Doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the life of security of another individual;
- The information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud;
- The information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process; or
- The information would likely reveal personal information about another individual.
Guests are encouraged to discuss any privacy issues with the Chief Privacy Officer. Upon request, Freija will inform a Guest on the procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about our policies and practices relating to the handling of Personal Information.
As the Internet is not yet a fully secure medium and therefore complete confidentiality and privacy cannot be ensured, Freija will not be liable for any damages resulting from the transmission of confidential or Personal Information to us.